View this email in your browserWhat to REALLY Know About Chocolate Toxicity for Your PetThe Halloween season can be a great time to enrich your pet with walks and playtime in the falling leaves, bonding with your pet with the increased indoor time, and more. 

At the same time it can be spooky for more reasons than that horror movie your partner is always trying to get you to watch! 

Pet owners often misunderstand the real dangers that chocolate can pose to their pet. Here are the REAL things you need to know:

White chocolate poses no danger (think of a Zero bar). Milk chocolate (Hershey’s), which most Halloween candy consists of, poses a very minor risk. Dark chocolate (baker’s chocolate for example) poses a modest risk

For milk chocolate, a pet has to consume about 3 ounces of milk chocolate per 10 pounds of body weight before even a veterinarian would notice any troubling signs such as excitement (comes from theobromine in chocolate which acts like caffeine). It takes a massive amount of chocolate to be fatal.

So to round out with an example, an average 20-pound dog would have to consume two full-sized candy bars (think Snicker’s bars) to even show any clinical signs. A 70-pound Labrador Retriever would have to consume 14 Butterfingers. If your dog eats a piece of chocolate, don’t worry about it, and certainly save yourself a trip to the emergency vet! The worst thing that will happen to your dog is probably digestive upset. 

However, if your dog is a non-stop eating machine and somehow got into a treasure trove of treats, please seek your veterinarian for treatment.

I hope you all have a wonderful Halloween season and I’ll see you in November!


Dr. Marty Becker

Want more from Dr. Becker?
Read more…Join his Facebook Group!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *